Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Lower Lena Lake

Tadj is trying to prepare for the High Adventure with the young men so he wanted to take our family on a little "nature walk". He found a hike in the Olympic Mountains that was rated "Easy" and was 4.6 miles round trip. I love hiking but I wasn't sure if our 2 and 4 year old were going to be able to walk that far. It turns out that our kids are awesome hikers! The hike wasn't 4.6 miles round-trip, it was 6 miles! That is a lot of mileage for little legs! Both kids walked up the mountain the 3 miles on their own. We carried Kendall on the way down but Hayden hiked nearly the entire time. I asked him, "how come you didn't tell me you were such a great hiker?" and he replied, "Mom, I never knew I was a great hiker all of these years." Kendall's quote for the day, "Hiking makes me hungry." It's true--I've never seen her eat so much!

Tadj with the kids at the Lake.


Lessons learned for next time: Don't wear cotton, more food/water. "Hide and Seek" on the way down the mountain was a great way to get the kids walking on their own. On the way up we had Kendall pretend she was Dora on an adventure - up the mountain, over three bridges, and touch the big tree by the lake. That helped suppress her desire to be carried.

No comments: